8.11.11 | By: Megan Langham

Cast of Characters: Days of Entwining

Of course it's a post about Days of Entwining. What else did you expect from me during this mad month of November?

For those who are interested, the novel is coming along swimmingly (there may be a pun there, though I shall not take the trouble to discern it). In spite of on-and-off sickness, as well as sundry other time-stealers, I've managed to keep a decent word-count cushion. Of course, what really matters is that I finish the thing--but deadlines are just so incontestably helpful.

Since I am not behind, and since it has been at least a week since I last made a Post, I thought I would give you a proper introduction to my mainest characters. It isn't much, but at least you'll have an inkling of them. (Because they really are quite lovely. Even the ones who aren't.)


Mairead

Days of Entwining is Mairead's story, the both of them sea-born and wind-tossed and bright-eyed with far-fetched imaginings. Perhaps the surest thing to be said about Mairead is that she is contradictory. She has an old soul and a naive spirit, strong sensibilities and a horror of sappiness, a nature both deeply critical and painfully empathetic. Though she longs to leave the island that has sheltered her all her life, she is afraid of losing the stability it brings. Despite the love that has always surrounded her, she is too afraid of betrayal to easily give away her trust.



Cynewulf

Long years of lonely suffering have made Cynewulf what he is now: wise, wary, and fiercely protective of the people he loves. A leatherworker by trade and a poet by nature, he has given his whole heart to Lindisfarne and his life to the work of the monastery. He is Mairead's closest friend, though she does not know it yet, and it is for love of her that he makes his greatest sacrifices.

Rowan

Twins are not always alike. This is definitely the case where Rowan and Mairead are concerned: all they share (besides parents and a common birthday) is stubbornness and a similar sensitivity to the feelings of others. Rowan is kinder than Mairead and more easily led, at least before his mind is made. His propensity to trust others will one day prove dangerous to him--but for most of his life it has brought about more good than evil, because his heart is true.




Eanwin

Sweet-souled and sensible, Eanwin has repeatedly proven herself a steadying influence in Mairead's life and an all-round darling--though those who touch a tender place find fire beneath the gentleness. She is talented at quietly manipulating the people around her, deeply attuned to the beauty of nature, and slow to give her love but tenaciously loyal when once she has given it. Like Mairead she has lived all of her life in the same place, but unlike Mairead she is perfectly content to remain there. For her adventure holds no appeal.



Cathal Finn

The average person, on first meeting Cathal, would never guess at the depth hidden beneath his superficial exterior. Handsome and charming and conscious of it, he unfailingly attracts women's admiration and men's grudging jealousy. But to the eyes who look deeper (and there are few enough of these) he is both much more than the light-hearted ladies' man and much less. It is his innocent-seeming arrival at Lindisfarne that changes the course of many lives for good and for ill... and reveals to Mairead where her heart truly lies.



Abrecan

Abrecan is not merely a puffin, but an amalgamation of several puffins. (This is due to the close resemblance he shares with all of his friends and relations.) But he belongs to Mairead, such as he is, and this dubious ownership brings her great pleasure. Because she found him on a stormy evening in early autumn, she calls him after the Old English word for "storm". He appears rather vain of his good looks, but amiable when he wishes to be, and his waddling strut is perhaps the most endearing thing about him.

3 missives:

Jenny Freitag said...

Oh my goodness, I love Abrecan the Many! What an adorable (charming) touch. I just want to pick him up and snuggle him close. ^.^

...it's uncanny how jealously Minnow can gaze at me just when the situation would make it applicable.

I love all of your pictures, especially Eanwin's - you caught her in a very living moment with that picture, I think. As for their descriptions, each one is very real with attempts at Charity and Godliness, and all their pockets and veins of sin and selfishness and childishness too.

Cynewulf reminds me, very oddly, of Cub. I am not sure why, it seems there is so very little that is similar between them. But when I think of Cynewulf I think of "it really is a wolf! - and the brute behaving like a puppy!" perhaps because of his grey, lonely exterior that is wolfish, and his underlying, strong attraction to those who have won his heart - or those to whom his heart has been given.

I hope that amuses you, or interests you, or something. I thought it rather remarkable myself. Cheers. Cheers to Abrecan. ^.^

shieldmaidenthoughts said...

I absolutely adore your cast, and the actors you chose! Congratulations. I definitely want to read this.
~ Mirriam

Megan Langham said...

Mirriam - Thank you, dear! I was pleasantly surprised this time by how easy the images were to find--most of them trickled into my lap with next to no effort. But I'm glad you liked my characters. I always get such a strange fuzzy feeling whenever one of my wayward children is complimented. ^.^

Jenny - ABRECAN IS A DARLING AND I LOVE HIM. There. We feel the same. And I have no cat present to glare at me jealously, though she may wander in at any moment.

But your assessment of Cynewulf. It made me (quite literally) squeal with delight. Though it is not a comparison that would have come to me on my own (or at least not for a while yet) it is perfect, and it resonates. There is a good deal of the untamed wolf about Cynewulf, if only in his secret heart.

You're something else entirely, you know.

Post a Comment