23.10.11 | By: Megan Langham

The Wine of Blessedness

I'm writing this on a mild, peaceful Sunday afternoon. Nothing spectacular has happened today, no thrilling adventure has presented itself; but it has been a good day all the same. Sometimes it is so easy to get caught up in sweeping epics and profound melancholy that one loses sight of the simple things which make life what it is: gentle, mysterious, quietly alluring.

So on this peaceful, mild afternoon I've scribbled down some little things that I tend to take for granted. And I've also tried to imagine my life without them, which is quite a difficult exercise!

the little things
jj
  • Long and loving letters, creased with rereading. 
  • The pungent smell of fresh cilantro crushed between my fingers.
  • My cat's warm tongue on my skin.
  • Lamplight glinting off my silvery ring.
  • A small child's infectious laughter.
  • Steam from my teacup tickling my nose.
  • Ivory piano keys, smooth and polished under my hands.
  • Firm round grapes bursting open in my mouth.
  • The tickling sensation just before a sneeze.
  • "Because you're my sister, and I love you."
  • Long calm walks on a crisp October afternoon.
  • Brown eyes deep with sorrow and alight with strength.
  • The warm drowsy moment between sleeping and waking.
  • Late nights around a crackling campfire.
  • Playful banter between brothers.
  • White-haired couples holding hands.
  • "I'm glad you came."
  • Warm soapy baths by candlelight.
  • Waking early in the morning before anyone else.
  • Finishing a paper just before the deadline.
  • The smell of old books.
  • Salty sea spray on my lips.
  • Leaves crunching beneath my boots.
  • Winter's first snowflakes on my tongue.
  • My mother's hugs.
  • "You have beautiful eyes."
  • The revelation near the end of a mystery novel.
  • Songs sung in Italian.
  • My puppy's nuzzlings.
  • Bright smiles.
  • Afternoons spent writing at a coffee shop.
  • English country cottages with roses climbing the picket fences.
  • Misty forest pathways.
  • Sehnsucht. 

7 missives:

Lilly said...

This is a beautiful post, MeriSis!

Megan L. said...

Thank you, LillyLove! ^.^

Rhoswen Faerie Wrose said...

Mmmm! :-) I'd have to agree on quite a few of those! ^.^ Very lovely list! *snugs*

Grace Pennington said...

Ooh, Merry, this is just lovely. So good to remember. Thank you!

Megan L. said...

You two are sweet. Thank you. :)

(It's amazing, really, how therapeutic this post was; I think you both ought to try your hand at something similar. Also, I'd love to see what you'd come up with!)

Katie S. said...

I'm dead tired--I shouldn't be up. And if I try and write a long and detailed comment it will end up a mush of emotion and exhaustion from the fingers of a girl with weary eyes and jeans and wool socks and a baggy sweatshirt (it's too late for commas, really). But I will say this: This post is beautiful.

God bless you, MeganDear!

Megan L. said...

Aww... you're always so lovely, Katie! I'm glad this post brought you some pleasure. :)

Post a Comment